When the company or business you built is on the line, divorce quickly becomes far more high-stakes than ever before. Protecting your assets is all the more crucial when your livelihood and life’s work are at risk. Business owners must take extra care to protect themselves during this transition, especially if you and your ex-spouse are not on amicable terms or did not sign a prenuptial agreement before getting married. Whether your ex is directly involved or completely absent from the inner workings of your business, you must avoid any mistakes that can cost you ownership or control of what is rightfully yours.
Consider these tips before embarking on your divorce process:
- Do not mix personal and business expenses. Keep your marital and non-marital assets separate so there is no confusion with your finances.
- Keep track of all the paperwork. The key to securing a successful outcome is providing excellent records to corroborate your claims.
- If possible, get a postnuptial agreement. Your business is one of your greatest assets and deserves legal protection. With a postnuptial agreement, you can rest assured your business will not be unfairly divided.
- Try to maintain a cordial relationship with your ex, as this may save you significant time and money in the future.
- Consult an aggressive and results-driven family lawyer immediately.
Seeking a Qualified & Compassionate Jacksonville Family Lawyer? Contact Us
At Zisser Family Law, our legal team believes in one thing above all else: delivering you the most successful results possible. Our Jacksonville divorce lawyer has the expertise to guide you through this journey as seamlessly as possible. We understand what you are going through--allow us to advocate on your behalf today.
Would you like to schedule an initial consultation? Contact us by calling (904) 395-2044.