In my Florida divorce case, what is a petition?

A petition is the name given to the pleading that is filed at the beginning of the case that begins the case. In the case of a dissolution of marriage, it's called a petition for dissolution of marriage. For a modification of alimony or child support, it'll be called a supplemental petition for modification of alimony or child support. Same thing for an adoption will be a petition for adoption.

Posted in Divorce Law, Legal FAQ Videos and tagged .

Carolyn S. Zisser

Highly regarded in marital and family law, Carolyn S. Zisser is a well-respected lecturer and author on family law subjects for the American Bar Association, Florida Bar, Jacksonville Bar Association and private legal seminar companies.